Friday, February 10, 2012

What is Your "Bookprint"?

Have you read something, an article, a story, a quote, that has impacted your life, left a memory or it was just what you needed to read right at that time? I'm sure, for most people, that would be a yes. I read an article on scholastic about just that; You can learn a lot through five stories: A My Bookprint guest post
So, on Flipsidestories Facebook, I posted my 5 books that I think are a part of my imprint.


The first is Boxcar Children. I was a really good reader growing up but later figured out that I had a harder time with comprehension because my mind would and still does, drift. It was very frustrating for me. I never wanted to read. One day I read The Boxcar Children. I loved it. I loved entering a world where the parents we count on aren't there for us and where the siblings had to figure out how to survive alone in the woods. It empowered me to believe I could survive if I needed to. It inspired me to use my creativity to live without our basic needs and necessitates. In adulthood, I carry the closeness of the siblings who took care of one another and I teach my children to take care of each other. Family comes first. I enjoyed the book enough to realize that there are books out there that I CAN read and comprehend.


The next book was Brown Bear, Brown Bear, by Eric Carle. It is simply a book I loved while learning to be a teacher. I love the illustrations and how much children love it too. It inspired me to start collecting books and writing for children.


One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth was a book that got me through a tough time. I was making a major change in my life. I was scared, happy, lonely and confused, to name a few emotions. This book helped me guide those emotions and it gave me power. It made me stronger. It organized my thoughts. I don't even think I made it through the whole forty days. I didn't need to. I actually passed it on to a friend who was also going through a tough time. I told her to pass it on when she was done. 


Left to Tell, the Immaculee Ilibagiza story was one that just stuck in my head. It is an inspirational story of survival under horrendous circumstances. As sad as the story was, it was far more uplifting than you'd think. It put my life in perspective. When I think things are tough, I remember her story or I think of other people who have things much worse. Great story. Gripping.


A Place of Yes, by Bethenny Frankel, is my last story that brings me to date. I liked her from Housewives of New York. Don't judge me by what I watch. I do a lot of analysis when I watch those shows. It is really interesting to see their interactions and what seems so important in their lives. Anyway, I liked Bethenny. She is frank, honest, sassy, sharp, sweet, sensitive and a good business woman. We all assume we know her by watching her show and how it seems like her successes were handed to her. She has an incredible story of survival (not compared to Immaculee Ilibagiza), perseverance, struggle, ambition, rejection and more. It was not handed to her. Her book is filled with inspiration, honesty and empowerment. As I journey into my new authorship and Flip Side Stories as a business, I found that her book empowered me to achieve and be real. I really enjoyed it. I gave it to a friend (www.mollycoddle.com) who I thought would enjoy it. She loved it. She shared it with a friend, too. 




So there you have it. There are so many more books but these are significant times in my life where these books had an impact on me as a person. I'd love to hear what books did that for you. You don't have to go into detail if you don't want to .  Just a list.


What is your book print? I'd love to know. Share in the comments.

No comments: