Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Toast to Jelley

Today, I had the honor of attending the celebration of a man's 83 years of life. Ok, I could say a funeral and the end of his life but it's all in the "Power of Words", right?

He was the Father and Grandfather of dear friends of ours and I had the opportunity to spend some time with Grandpa Jelley at a couple of joyous family events over the past year. The one thing I remember about dear Grandpa Jelley was his HUGE smile. He always seemed happy. At least when he saw me. ha ha. Not really. Everyone says the same thing about him. What I loved most about spending time with him was his spirit that escaped through his smile. At the times that I was able to sit with him, he had some difficulty getting the words out that he wanted to say. Not because he struggled mentallybut because he had difficulty getting the words to come out right.  I could tell sometimes that it bothered him but he always laughed it off. I didn't always know exactly what he was saying, but he did and he was going to try his best to convey his message the best he could.

The Eulogy was about what a happy man he was and how he lived life to the fullest. He was always smiling and bringing joy to others. He had a great sense of humor to which he passed on to his grandson. Now, we get to enjoy Grandpa through him.

During the ceremony, I thought about my eulogy. I know, sounds depressing but really it's not. It is your legacy, the mark you leave, the impression you've made on the people in your life and the world. What do I want people to say about me?  She was a grumpy, mean spirited, self-centered piece of work? Um...No.  It is a picture or portrait of you. Would you want to hang that portrait of you on the wall? I would think not. Mona Lisa is an exception but only because it worth a lot of money.

None of us know how long we'll be here but we do know we probably have this minute or an hour, a day, a week, a year or many years. What am I going to do with that time? I want to be remembered as a happy person, a caring and loving person, a person with integrity and honesty, a number 1 mother to my children, a number 1 wife to my husband, a teacher, a person who strived to make a difference in the world on a grander scale than an arms reach and a person who wanted to help people however she could. This is what I have determined my life will be. I've created a goal and I am working toward it. I don't expect to be perfect. In a portrait, you don't see the details. You see the whole person.

I want my life celebrated. I informed my husband that I would like "Lord of the Dance." played at my celebration (dance if you wish), no open casket because that wouldn't be me anymore and only wear black if it makes you feel skinnier.  Life is good. Make the most out of it and make your impression matter.

No comments: