Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Hero



Let me define hero:
noun ( pl. -roes)a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities a war hero.• the chief male character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities, and with whom the reader is expected to sympathize.• (in mythology and folklore) a person of superhuman qualities and often semidivine origin, in particular one of those whose exploits and dealings with the gods were the subject of ancient Greek myths and legends.
I have heroes in my life. They are the people in my life that I hold in high regard for their character and values. Some of those people have accomplished things or have overcome things that I find to be heroic. One of my dearest friends beat cancer. Not only did she beat it but she did it with such grace and positive attitude. Oh, I know in the privacy of her home with her husband, she struggled but she was determined to beat it and not let it get the best of her. She survived. She is my hero. She went through chemo, lost her hair, got sick and kept on going. She is my hero. We walked the 3 day Komen for a Cure. We trained for over 500 miles in snow, sleet, rain and heat, walked 60 miles in 3 days, slept in tents, got blisters and achieved. I walked with her because she is my hero. If she can do it, I could too. If she could survive, then I could too. There are many heros out there like that too. Even the ones that don't survive but fight the fight are heros. 
A surprise hero emerged last night at 1:00 in the morning. I met a woman named Lori Lite on Twitter a while back. I often comment on her tweets, share her tweets and visit her sites. She writes children's books (like me) that teach children in a fun way how to relieve stress. Very cute books and music. Last night, I learned from one of her tweets that she has had quite an adventure with her business. She published her own books and sold them out of her home. A friend of hers encouraged her to try out for the show "Shark Tank" to see if she can get financial backing for her business. She did it. She was on the show and an investor backed her. Holy crap (if I may)!
It wasn't that she made it on the show that impressed me most, it was that she had the courage to try. She was like me and many other people out there who have a passion for something that they want to share with the world. A normal person. She had to be interviewed over and over, she had to prove her business plan and have numbers to back it. She had to pitch her idea over and over and she had to go on national tv and convince some pretty tough investors that her product and business was worthy of backing. I was so riveted by her story and her adventure that I stayed up until 1:00 AM reading about her and chatting with her on Twitter. I don't even know her but I was proud of her. She did it. 
I don't know if that is something I would do, but she did and I was impressed. I know that if she can do it, then I could too if I wanted to.  She has a passion for teaching and helping children like me and she went for it and she did it.  She gives me power and motivation.  She is my passion hero. She is my entrepreneur hero. Kudos to her. Check her out. http://www.StressFreeKids.com/


Some of my other heros: My husband for being one of the smartest people I know and for his passion to help children with our charity Building Bridges which he founded. My youngest son for being born 10 weeks early with a twisted intestine and fought death for 3 months of his life, his lack of thriving due to an allergy to milk and soy, for his lack of core strength that limited his ability to run and jump properly but has been reversed almost fully through weekly therapy for two years.  My grandma who lived to 104 on her own and was able to meet my husband before she passed.  
And many more.... Do you have a hero? Tell us about them.